No matter what type of roofing system you use in your home or business, there will come a time when you must replace it and install a new one. While replacing the roof on your home is a major expense and undertaking, choosing the correct time to replace your roof will save you money and ensure the safety of your home.
Fortunately, identifying trouble signs and determining whether or not your home needs a new roof is usually relatively simple and can be done for free.
Roofing experts recommend that homeowners perform a visual inspection of their roofing system at least twice a year. With only a small amount of detective work homeowners can spot many visual clues that determine if you need a new roof.
The first thing you should consider is the age of the existing system. The longevity and effectiveness of a roof depends on many factors. If your current roof is older than 15 years, it might just be time for a new one.
You can spot many trouble signs from inside your home with a quick trip to the attic.
Interior Signs You Need a New Roof:
- Blistering or peeling of interior paint
- Stains, mildew or mold on interior walls or ceilings
- Leakage, water or moisture in the attic after extreme weather
- Ceilings spots caused by leaks in the roof
- Light showing through the ceiling boards
To view the exterior warning signs requires only slightly more effort and while some property owners may be willing to brave a ladder, the heights and the inherent dangers, you can often find a nearby vantage point that offers a clear view of any problems.
Exterior Signs That You Need a New Roof:
- Breakdown or decay of exterior siding or sheathing
- Curling, cracked or missing shingles
- Dark stains, or dirty looking patches of the roof
- Bald Shingles that are missing granules/excessive shingle granules collecting in the drains & gutters
- Areas of the roof that appear to be sagging
Your roof is the most important component in protecting your property and its most valuable contents against the elements. It should be on your mind even if it is out of sight. Regular maintenance, care and attention to your roof will increase its lifespan and effectiveness.
While property owners can spot many clues to the health of their roof, most maintenance or management can be high risk and should be handled by a qualified roofing professional. Many roofing companies including Coast Mountain Roof offer free visual inspections and would be more than happy to take a look at your roof.
Brad Gordon and his team of professionals have been installing roofing, waterproofing and architectural sheet metal systems in the Greater Vancouver area for over 20 years.